I was making my way through London with Mr. Jaggers by my side. We walked by the Thames near Westminister. As usual, the streets were busy, teeming with people, and vendors, and merchants and gentlemen and beggars. As usual, there were lots of people who recognized my guardian and wanted, naturally, to speak to him regarding their "urgent affairs".
One man in particular amongst the crowd caught my attention with his peculiar appearance. He was smoking his pipe in a very relaxed manner. His hair was sparse, and his face exuded a very curious air. The most obvious thing that stood out about him were his eyebrows. They were not straight, plain eyebrows, but rather curved at the ends, as if they had a life of their own. His suit and pants had no wrinkles, and no visible creases. He seemed to be a man of respect. He observed us in a humorous manner.
Mr. Jaggers, as usual, ignored everyone amongst the crowd, except for this peculiar man.
"Mr. Edmunds!" he exclaimed.
"What brings you to London at a time like this?"
Mr. Edmunds raised his eyebrows jovially and jabbed a medium-sized finger in my direction.
"I thought it was about time ... for business with the boy,"
"But so soon! I guess time has really come ... Come with us"
We made our way hurriedly back to Mr. Jagger's residence. We comfortably seated ourselves around the table.
"Mr. Pip, I would like to introduce you to Mr. Edmunds ... Your benefactor. He is a very honorable man and is responsible for all of the training and upbringing that you have received thus far, " Mr. Jaggers exclaimed
I felt a strange mix of gratitude and surprise. Mr. Edmunds raised one eybrow.
"It .... it's is a great honor to meet you, Mr. Edmunds," I stammered.
"Same to you, Mr. Pip. I trust you have been well?" His eyebrows curled.
No comments:
Post a Comment