Mr. Jagger's Sister
Rosalind Cordelia Jaggers
She is not a plain woman, and definitely not a wallflower. Called "Miss Rose" for short by her many admirers, she had a reputation for being rather frivolous, though in fact she was highly intelligent and fluent in 12 languages. She relies on her suitors to fuel her love of beautiful clothes and jewels. She is tall (5 10') with long blonde hair. She often wears rich purple and red velvet dresses, accented with gold brocade and embellished with jewels such as rubies and sapphires. Her interesting characteristic mannerism is that every night she must polish all of her jewels until they are perfectly shiny. She lives in fear of finding anything about her less than perfect. Also she likes how her jewels remind her of events in her life. Pip comes across this character one day when he is visiting Mr. Jaggers to collect his money.
Suddenly, a tall blonde woman swept into the room. She was certainly beautiful, but with a sort of cold, hard beauty that reminded Pip of something he couldnt quite put his finger on. It reminded him of a feeling of longing for something he could never have. The train of her ruby red gown trailed gracefully behind her until she came to a stop in front of Mr. Jaggers.
"Have you found her yet?" she demanded of him.
"For God's sake, Rosie, will you stop bothering me!" Mr. Jaggers responded angrily. "I promise I'm doing everything I can, but I have enough to do without you coming in here every day. Dont you have a ball to go to or something?"
She sniffed disdainfully. "I guess thats a no, then. And I thought you were a real lawyer, Rudolph. "
"I cant believe we are related" huffed Mr. Jaggers under his breath. He then said something else to Miss Rosie and she turned on her heel and gracefully left the room, with barely contained frustration. But Pip did not notice. Had she just call Mr. Jaggers "Rudolph"? Were she and Mr. Jaggers brother and sister?
Mr. Jaggers seemed distracted as he handed Pip his money, and Pip quickly followed in Miss Rosie's footsteps. Once he was back on the bustling London street, he was surprised to find her sitting on the ground sobbing. She looked a frightful mess - hair unkempt, dress dirty, face streaming with tears.
"Miss Rosie! -" Pip started in shock, but he had barely begun when she interrupted.
"Its Miss Rosalind Cordelia Jaggers to you, young man."
"Well, Miss Rosalind Cordelia Jaggers, whats wrong? Perhaps you had better come with me in my carriage," he said, after noticing the curious stares of passersby.
"Very well," she agreed. She was hardly in a fit state to argue, Pip remarked. They arrived at his apartment.
"Well, I suppose you are curious about my story," she said, as if resigned to her fate, "so I might as well get it over with. Rudolph and I are brother and sister. We were both born poor, destined for the workhouse, but I was gifted with beauty. Because of the generosity of my admirers we have risen from dirt to become educated and modestly successful. As you can imagine, I have had many lovers. But one day I found out I was pregnant, and my admirer did not agree with this. He was my only source of income and I was forced to give the baby up. It was the worst mistake of my life. I have spent every day since then searching for my lost daughter, which is what Jaggers helps me with in his spare time. I was crying because I fear I shall never find her."
Pip could only stare openmouthed. It appeared he had found Estella's mother.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment